What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a medical therapeutic system that has been used successfully all over the world for over 200 years. Homeopathic doctors use medicines derived from natural sources to stimulate the body to heal many different ailments.
How does it work?
It works on the principle of ‘like treating like’. Ailments are treated with medicines that could produce similar symptoms if given in a much stronger dose to a healthy person.
What happens in a Homeopathic consultation?
Dr. Kaplan will ask you many detailed questions about the history of your illness and your general healthy. There will also be a discussion about your lifestyle and personality as he will be aiming to match an homeopathic remedy not only to your illness but to your whole constitution. If the medicine is the right one for you it will act as an holistic stimulus to your body to stimulate it to heal itself. Dr. Kaplan has written extensively about the conversations homeopathic doctors have with their patients in his book, The Homeopathic Conversation.
Is it safe?
Homeopathy is one of the safest medical systems available. It uses medicines in highly diluted form to avoid toxic effects. It can be used safely on all ages including the very elderly and the newly born.
Why is it needed?
Because homeopathy works by encouraging the body to heal itself, it is often very useful in many illnesses that are difficult to treat with conventional medicine alone. Even in conditions that can be helped by orthodox drugs, homeopathy can be a useful approach because drugs can have undesirable side effects.
How do I choose between Homeopathy and ordinary medicine?
The most important thing is to get your problem properly diagnosed. Dr. Kaplan is a qualified medical doctor and is able to examine you, order investigations and liase with your GP and specialists if necessary. After a diagnosis is established, he will discuss treatment options with you. In most situations homeopathy can be tried first but if there is a risk of permanent damage to your health you may be advised to use orthodox medicine first.
What problems are best treated by homeopathy?
Homeopathy can potentially help almost any problem. The following list comprises problems that after 28 years of practice as an homeopathic doctor, I feel very optimistic about helping with homeopathy:
- Digestive Problems: indigestion, heartburn, reflux and irritable bowel syndrome. Also inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s Disease do well with a combination of homeopathy and Autogenic Therapy.
- Skin Diseases: Eczema and dermatitis, allergic skin eruptions, warts and Molluscum contagiosum. Psoriasis of recent origin can sometimes do well on homeopathy too.
- Female Reproductive System: Menstrual problems such as heavy bleeding, dysmenorrhoea and PMS.
- Cardiovascular Problems: Hypertension and some heart problems can respond well to a combination of homeopathy and Autogenic Therapy.
- Male Reproductive System: Erectile problems.
- Urinary problems: Cystitis of all types and urethritis.
- Respiratory System: Coughs, frequent colds and flu, bronchitis.
- Musculoskeletal System: Various forms of arthritis and muscular problems.
- Psychological Problems: Anxiety, pre-exam nerves, fear of public speaking and other phobias, depression and many other psychological problems can be helped. Homeopathy and Provocative Therapy complement each other very well and Dr. Kaplan will often use them together in treating a wide range of psychological problems.
Is it suitable for everyone?
Yes, all ages can use it. However it is not a treatment for every type of illness. Some problems do need conventional medicine and Dr. Kaplan will advise you accordingly.
Can I use it in at the same time as orthodox medicine?
Yes you can. If you are on medicines when coming for homeopathic treatment, Dr. Kaplan will generally advise you to stay on all your usual medications until we have seen a big improvement due to homeopathic treatment. At that point a weaning off of other medication can be discussed.
How quickly can I expect results?
Sometimes an improvement can occur immediately but it can take up to three weeks to see changes in your condition. This is why your follow-up appointment is made 3-4 weeks after your first visit. However if you are suffering from an acute illness such as cystitis, tonsillitis or flu, the second appointment will be much sooner.