Autumn Treats: Chicken Goji Stew
This is a variation of a tonic recipe classic I have used for many years and with a great number of people, as it is great for general health and vitality, as well as strongly promoting recovery from illness, childbirth or blood loss.
Although particularly beneficial for women, anybody can eat this lovely wholesome dish. This is a self-stocking recipe as the carcass, bones and marrow are all included.
- Joint and cut an organic chicken into large chunks, using a big knife or cleaver to break the bones
- Fry the pieces until golden and then transfer to a bowl
- Use the hot fat now in the pan to sauté some chopped onion, carrot, celery
- Add back the chicken and some cubed potatoes, a large handful of goji berries and dried prunes
- Add enough white wine or cider to cover
- Season and add a star anise, a cinnamon stick, sliced fresh ginger root and a few cloves
- For an enhanced tonic effect, ginseng, angelica and astragalus can all be added
- Cover and simmer on low heat for at least one and a half hours and longer if you like